PLAGUE OF HONOR AWARD TO HON BRR ALIYU WAKILI BOYA @ ANNUAL LECTURE SERIES IN HONOUR OF HIS ROYAL MAJESTY THE OBI OF ONITSHA IGWE NNAEMEKA ALFRED ACHEBE, CFR, MNI, AT THE ODEMEGU OJUKWU UNIVERSITY AWKA ON THE 8TH OF OCTOBER 2024


“CELEBRATING ICONS OF PEACE AND RECONCILIATION IN NIGERIA”
A SPEECH BY HON BAR ALIYU WAKILI BOYA CHAIRMAN HOUSE OF 
REPRESENTATIVES COMMITTEE ON POLICE INSTITUTIONS AT THE NIPR 
ANNUAL LECTURE SERIES IN HONOUR OF HIS ROYAL MAJESTY THE OBI OF 
ONITSHA IGWE NNAEMEKA ALFRED ACHEBE, CFR, MNI, AT THE ODEMEGU 
OJUKWU UNIVERSITY AWKA ON THE 8TH OF OCTOBER 2024
PROTOCOLS

It gives me great joy and pleasure to stand before you all and deliver this address today. When I 
was informed that I will be given an opportunity to come here and be the Special Guest of Honour 
at a function in honour of such an Icon I was really apprehensive. What will I say at a function like 
this that will truly make a difference considering the eminent speakers lined up to speak before 
me? However, when I reflected on the theme of the lecture it became apparent that the organizers 
had a great commitment to the progress of our dear country Nigeria. Talking about the “Achieving 
Peace and Reconciliation in Nigeria; The Public Relations Approach” shows a deep concern for 
the nation. Their patriotic disposition had no questions at all. The theme captures a conversation 
that is necessary at this point in time. The NIPR under the current leadership has been transformed 
beyond just a professional body, it a patriotic body as well. That is quite reassuring. 

Two things really gave me the confidence to come here participate, learn a lot and lend my voice 
to the conversation. First of all, my regards for His Royal Majesty Igwe Nnaemeka Alfred Achebe 
the Obi of Onitsha are indeed very high. I have admired him greatly since I was in school. I have 
always seen him as an Icon of Peace and Unity in Nigeria. I have always wanted to meet him and 
let him know how deeply his iconic role in National affairs have inspired and influenced me. And 
as a Traditional ruler myself I know the likes of Obi of Onitsha are indeed our fathers in the 
leadership of our people within the realm of traditional rulership. Today I have this unique 
opportunity to tell my dear father the Obi of Onitsha that I am your son from Adamawa State and 
I will be proud to be accepted as such in your palace.

The second reason I feel confident to be here and speak is the respect I have for the profession of 
public relations and the unique style of leadership exhibited by the current President Dr. Ike 
Neliaku. I am a lawyer by profession, but if I had an opportunity to change my profession with 
another one, I will not hesitate to become a PR practitioner. Dr. Ike Neliaku has made Public 
Relations so important, so relevant and so visible that the profession seems to dwarf most other 
professions in Nigeria today. And he does it so effortlessly and so convincingly that it is not hard 
to understand that he is one of the best professionals in this country. But it is not just the NIPR 
President’s professional credentials that are impeccable, his patriotic credentials are equally 
impressive.
 I am proud to associate with the NIPR president and very sincerely appreciate the 
organizing committee for this honour extended to me to be here.
It is therefore on the strength of these considerations that I came to participate and listen to the 
lecture. My belief is that you cannot speak about peace and reconciliation under whatever context 
without looking at how the icons of the process are celebrated. These are persons who have continued to stake their strength, reputation and abilities to ensure that society is at peace and 
disputes are amicably settled. Peace makers are mostly misunderstood sometimes even vilified or 
even being suspiciously viewed by all parties in a dispute. But they are courageous and they display 
excellent relationships. I believe That is where the PR factor comes. Both His Royal majesty the 
Obi of Onitsha and Ike Neliaku are exceptional peace makers and excellent public relations 
practitioners. But there are many others around the country most of them are unsung while the 
people they serve may not show much appreciation.

So, as we gather today to interrogate the subject of peace and reconciliation from a public relations 
perspective, let us also celebrate these quiet heroes, the tireless advocates, the individuals who 
dared to dream of a world woven with peace and reconciliation, let us consider the value of their 
work and the human touch they always put into it. They are the ones who, in the face of conflict 
and division, chose to build bridges instead of walls. They are the ones who, amidst the cacophony 
of hate, chose to amplify the voices of understanding and compassion. Their stories are not always 
grand narratives of sweeping victories. Often, they are quiet acts of courage, small gestures of 
kindness, and unwavering commitment to a better future. They are the whispers of hope that, over 
time, become a powerful chorus for change.

These icons of peace and reconciliation remind us that even in the darkest of times, the human 
spirit can find a way to heal and rebuild. They remind us that peace is not a passive state, but an 
active choice, a constant striving for understanding and empathy. Their legacy is not just a 
collection of stories, but a call to action. It is a call to each of us to embrace the values they 
embodied such as courage to speak truth, compassion to see the humanity in others, resilience to 
persevere in the face of adversity and hope to believe in a better society.
 Honestly, that has been 
my goal in leadership whether as a politician or traditional leader. You would have noticed that 
since my leadership of the House of Representatives Committee on Police Institutions I have 
continued to advocate for a policing system that encourages compliance with law and legality 
instead of enforcement.
Permit me at this juncture to very sincerely appreciate the NIPR for this honour done to me today. 

Let me also appreciate the people of Anambra state, you are wonderful hosts. I enjoyed every 
minute Istayed here in the beautiful city of Awka. I was able to link up with some long-lost friends. 
Public Relations is indeed a wonderful profession and the practitioners are equally wonderful 
people. May peace and harmony continue to define our country. May we have many more icons 
of peace and reconciliation like my dear father His Royal Majesty Igwe Nnaemeka Alfred Achebe.

Let us all commit to peace and reconciliation. Let us strive to construct a world that is at peace and 
in harmony. Let us be the architects of peace, the weavers of reconciliation, the builders of a world 
where understanding and empathy prevail. Let us, together, create a world worthy of our dreams.

Thank you All And Remains Bless.

Abubakar Sali
Boya Moving Train 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CITY BOY MOVEMENT HOLDS STRATEGIC MEETING IN YOLA, BEGINS GRASSROOTS MOBILIZATION, 2027

APC LG EXECUTIVE LED BY ALH SANI DAN SULEI PAYS SOLIDARITY VISIT TO BOYA

HON BARR ALIYU WAKILI BOYA PICKS NOMINATION FORM FOR 2027 RE-ELECTION